Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Business Name

So, I've been reading a book called Principles of Success. One of the earlier chapters asks that you set a clear expectation of what you feel is your purpose in life. Doing this makes you happy. In doing so, you need to ask yourself what you really enjoy doing, and would do for free if given a chance. Personally, I would build electronics, test them, find new ways to create them. I'd love to one day build an android or artificial intelligence or something like that. Just really be on the cutting edge of technology.

Then, you ask yourself, what are 2-3 unique qualities/attributes about yourself. I enjoy teaching and instructing, I enjoy learning new things. I'm creative. I really enjoy the feeling I get when I've taught someone something new, and they take it and do things I didn't even realize could be done. Just knowing I started them on a path to find a real passion is fantastic to me.

After that, you're supposed to imagine a perfect world, Utopian in nature.You describe the perfect world in a few sentences. Personally, a perfect world would be everyone using futuristic products I invented, coming to me for advice and ideas on how to come up with even more, and eventually,helping to get mankind out into space more, just like in the movies. Using artificial intelligence, vast computers, everything automated. It would be awesome.

Last, you're supposed to combine the three things above to come up with a personal purpose in life. I've come up with something like this: My purpose in life is to inspire people to further humanity's use of electronics. I want to invent products that make life easier, I want to be recognized for the achievements I've made, and I want to instruct others on how to use what we have to achieve what we've only dreamed of, as far as technology goes.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering, "What does this have to do with a business name?" Good question. I want to start my own business a few years down the road. One of the goals is to have a clear vision. I kind of have that now. I know what I want to do. I have no idea how to do it, but I have a destination in mind. It's ambitious, but it's not impossible. I am dreaming again, and I've missed the feeling. Writing it down feels good. 

So, now that I have a vision in mind, I want to start creating works around that. One thing I can toy with is a website, but I want to create a business from this website. I want a name for a company that will last, a name that will be able to evolve and change as I need it to. I don't want to get stuck with a business like Jake's PC repair, and then decide to get into robotics later. The name's not versatile enough. Jake Enterprises is a little vague, and I don't even know if I'm an enterprise. My name's not a good one for business. Jedidiah May. It's redneck-sounding, and the last name is very plain. So, as much as I'd like to pay homage to my parents, it's not a good name for business.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment