Friday, August 18, 2017

Continuing Education

I think continuing education is important. I don't watch nearly the amount of television I did ten or even five years ago. I simply don't have time for it. I fill most of my time with trying to further my career and skills. I recently got cable television back, but it's really amazing. In the entire family, maybe one person might watch it for a couple of hours a week at the most. We all sit down from time to time to watch a family movie through it or the Xbox, but generally, we're on computers. Now, this does take time away from being with each other, but I think the time together getting out to do something or watching a movie at home helps to make up for it. Plus, the kids are getting to ages where they'll want to be alone more and more, and Vanessa (my wife) and I understand that.

The continuing education part is important though. Vanessa pointed out to me how much the kids pay attention to me constantly wanting to learn, read, study, and further myself. It's amazing, but the kids simply don't get bad grades that often, and they're learning more and more. They've advanced in a short time. Granted, they're supposed to be getting better slowly as they age, I get that, but they are genuinely curious and are really excelling in school. Nothing is "too hard" anymore. I thought maybe the schools were easier here, but I remember them really having a hard time in the beginning when they started, so it's not that. What's more, they really are taking an active interest in some of the subjects and thinking about careers. That part is actually exciting.

As far as the careers go, Vanessa and I are doing everything we can to try and make it a possibility for them. We want them to experience everything so they can make a decision. For instance, Joshua says he wants to be a marine biologist and work underwater - to scuba dive for a living. Well, there are classes that allow the introduction for only $25 in Hendersonville (not far from us), and I heard even closer. We're going to take him to those to see if he really likes it. I'm going to do it as well. :) And if he does, the whole certification program is only about $300, so it's very doable for him, and maybe even me. I'll enroll him in it, but I'll wait until my Pilot's School is complete first.

The point is, I think it's important to continually strive to better yourself. Just becoming satisfied with where you are is dangerous. There's nothing wrong with being grateful for where you've come from and where you are. Being humble, thankful, and generally appreciative for all of the blessings in your life is of vital importance. My sentiment is simply to not be afraid to keep pushing forward. My reasoning for it is like this:
I know countless people who have never smoked. They don't regret not smoking. I know many more who have smoked and quit, and they are grateful they have. Every single one of them wish they had never smoked to begin with. Those who are still smoking wish they could stop, but lack the willpower. There are a select-few that think smoking is okay, their right, etc.
Now, apply that same logic to education. I know several who wish that went to college, somewhat regret the cost, but glad they did it. I know many more who never went, and most wish they had, or would "like to one day." I don't know of any people that say college is a waste of time, except for people who are pursuing education in other ways, doing okay for themselves, etc. Some, granted, are just stubborn, I suppose. It makes sense, given the exposure of the people I've seen, that most people never regret continuing to learn, but many, many more, have great remorse over stopping.

Of course, there's statistical data to back all of this up, but the point is simply:

Never stop learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment